Friday, August 10, 2007

Virginia is now my home . . .

After six+ years of living in Virginia, I have now come to fully accept -- and appreciate -- Virginia as my home. I am orginally from Southern California and have always thought I'd always miss being a So. Cal girl. But, after my recent trip to California, I have to admit, I really missed "home". I missed the ability to hydrate on the humidity during runs. And the squishy softness of the air. I know that sounds crazy, but the dry Cali air actually bugged me. When I got off the plane in Virginia, I actually felt like Virginia was giving me a big ol' humidity hug. Go figure!

"Don't try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough." ~Arthur Freed

So, this post will have nothing to do with training. I really must tell you about an amazing and uplifting little event that happened on our trip. Well, actually it was on the trip home. The area where my in-laws live is on the eastern side of northern California. There are no airports within 2 hours of their house so getting there is always a VERY long travel day. When we left, we had to drive 2 hours to get to the train station and then take an hour and a half ride on the San Franciso metro train to get to the San Francisco Airport.

We were travelling with the 2 younger ones, 2 large suitcases, 2 small suitcases, a car seat and a computer bag. The computer bag was acting as my "purse" and contained 2 laptops, both cell phones and our check book. So, after our long ride, we pull into the San Francisco station, get off the train and make our way up to the airport check-in area. The train continues on to its next destination --- with our computer bag which we happened to forget. Dammit.

We have to check in and board our plane so we are completely unable to try to track down the bag. Derek locates a security guy who states he will ride his bike down to the next train stop to see if he can find it (nice guy!!!) but he also said that many "shady" people take the train system so we should not hold out hope in recovering our belongings.

So, we were bummed -- really, really bummed. And then, the zipper on one of our suitcases busts a big six inch hole. When I asked the Delta agent if they had tape, her response was "I've got to get your luggage down there. Wish it luck." I was a wee bit emotion but I didn't cry. Derek and I refocus ourselves by reminding eachother to count our blessings instead of focusing on any materialistic losses or grumpy airline agents. We get on the plane and land in Atlanta ahead of time. Yay! Things are looking up. Well, almost. We proceed to sit on the runway for over an hour because they cannot navigate the ten planes on the ground to open gates. Things are looking a little bleak again. Running through the airport with kids is NOT fun. But, no worries. The flight attendants make an announcement that there are many planes having the same difficulty and that we will not miss our connections since all other flights are aware of the problem and will hold the gates open. Whew!

As trusting as I try to be, we still high-tail it off the plane and literally run the entire way to our next plane. Cute little Booger kicked butt scurrying through the airport!! We almost get to our gate when a Delta agent calls out and says that all flights have left. Uh, what? She repeats that all planes have departed. Um, no, it's 10:30 p.m., we've been travelling for 12 hours, we lost our friggin' computers and the lady on the plane said they'd still be here!!! Through gritten teeth, I try to politely ask the nice lady what she suggests we do. She said they have booked us on a flight the following morning and to get comfortable. I'm starting to get emotional again -- but, again, I don't cry.

Derek and I visit the Delta counter with all of the other people to see what to do. Delta, realizing their error, simply begins passing out vouchers for hotels and meals. Okay, we can do this. We'll just get some food, go to our hotel, have a pigout on the hotel bed and have a little sleepover. The only thing we need is food and Booger's car seat.

Food is first since the vouchers are only good in the airport. Hmmmm. Everything is dark. Oh, that would be because the vouchers are only good until 11pm -- which is when the food area closes. Wish we would have known that when they gave us our vouchers at 10:50. But wait, there is a nice Chinese gentleman waiving us toward his restaurant. He asks what we want and says he will stay open a little late to make sure we have food to eat. I love him.

We go down to the luggage center and ask what we can do to get to our luggage. We are told that all luggage will be automatically directed to our morning flight. Um, okay, but what if we need something? Well, that's easy. Simply fill out the form, turn it in and they can bring out our luggage in approximately 2-3 hours. Deep breath. That's okay, I'm still riding the high from the nice Chinese man (and Booger's almost out of her car seat), so I simply tell Booger that she'll have to ride in the shuttle like a big girl. So we're off to the shuttle that takes us to our hotel.

We get outside and, oooh, look, there are only about 80 other people waiting for the same shuttle. When the shuttle pulls in people literally climb all over eachother like they're trying to get the last two seats on Noah's flippin' Arc!!! I pull the girls back and explain that it's not okay to behave like that and we will be rewarded for our patience. They look at me like I've lost my mind. I'm getting emotional again and fight not to cry.

Okay, so we make it to the hotel. We open all of our Chinese food and realize we've forgotten forks. Now, we have no clothes, no toothbrushes and no soap but for some reason the lack of forks seems to put us over the edge. We simply stand there staring into the styrofoam containers. Hmmm. Okay, girls, if we were on Survivor how would we solve this problem? All of the sudden we were cracking up and devising new ingenious ways to eat our food! The next thing you know, we hit the vending machines and pigged out on Chinese food, sodas and candy while watching Shrek 3.

Before bed, we decide we will use the hotel phone to call home and check the answering machine. Maybe the nice police officer in San Francisco has found our bags. We have one message. It is a man. He was on the train with us in San Francisco. He says he is calling from our cell phone and has found our belongings. He says he realizes many people would not do the right thing upon finding items like ours. But he feels like Santa Claus and is returning our belongings to the Lost & Found at the San Francisco Station. He leaves all of the details on how we can retrieve our things. Before he hangs up, he says he hopes he has made our day and that he wishes us the very best for the rest of our trip. I finally begin to cry.

As I lay falling asleep that night, I tell Derek: the men in the Utah mine had a bad day. The people on the bridge that collapsed had a bad day. The day we had? It was full of memories, adventure and was spent with the people I love. My day was simply fantastic!

So now I am home and tomorrow I ride the Patriot course with the Tri Girls. Which is good, because I'm sure there is some repressed frustration in me right now!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Riding with you today, I never would have guessed what a horrible trip home you had. But you are so right--you can't compare what seems like a bad day when there are others out there suffering real loss. You looked so strong today, and you'll breeze through those 12 last workouts, I'm sure.
Hugs

Jonah Holland said...

OMG what a great post. What a great attitude. Yes you made me cry!
You are so awesome, I wish I could be there to see you race IMFL and cross that finish line.

TriGirl 40 said...

What a great story to keep things in perspective. I love the Chinese Restaurant guy, too - and the guy who returned your laptops. Great message!

BTW - You've been tagged - check out the details on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Cyndi D-

Love you, love you, love you!!!!

SQ

Melissa said...

it was a great day riding and road tripping with you. i enjoyed hearing your story int e car and glad you posted it to pass on that there are still good people out there and no good deed goes un noticed. xoxo, Fave

Big Dog said...

Cyn,

Chineese Food from the Airport.....$25

Soda and Snacks for a Hotel Vending Machine......$5

Having the Worst/Best Vacation Trip with You.....Priceless Memories

I am so very proud of what you are doing this year.....

I Love You...2-4-4

D

carmen said...

wow cyndi
you are a super trooper
and very good at focusing on the ppositive
i am fortunate to have you
to complain to about workouts...
thanks for sharing a great story
xoxoxo
c