Thursday, November 8, 2007

Remembering the Ironman . . . Part 1 of 1,000,000

At first I didn't think I could blog about this race because SO much has happened. But then I remembered that I'm using this blog as my IM journal and I want to remember every detail about my fantastic adventure to becoming an official IRONMAN. So, if you'll bear with me, I'm going to start at the beginning . . .

At 6 a.m. on Halloween morning, Derek (aka Big Dog), Nick and Kyle dropped Kelsey, Rylee and me off at the airport. The plan was to have me fly down with the little ones and Derek and the older two would drive straight through and meet us there in the evening. That meant that my guy and the older kids would be in the car for at least 12 hours -- and, you know what? They never complained about it -- at least not to me! :)

Kelsey and Rylee are excellent airline travelers so the trip down to Panama City was pretty uneventful. Derek had arranged for a car to pick us up and take us to the hotel so that, too, was completely non-stressful. The only minor delay we had was when we were taking a little turbo-prop from Atlanta into Panama City. The plane was almost entirely atheletes competing in the IM and the plane was having a difficult time loading all of the bikes into the cargo hold. Everyone on the plane was talking about the IM and it seemed that they had all done at least one Ironman before. I felt very much like the new kid in class and was sure that they all thought I was just some girly-girl going down to Panama City with my kids for vacation. Clearly, I didn't look like these uber-athletic Ironman competitors!! I tried to push my doubts from my mind and settle into taking care of the girls on the plane.

Derek's sister, Kim, and my niece, Jade, were already at the hotel when I arrived and my in-laws were expected to get there around 5pm. They had reserved 2 beautiful, 2 bedroom condos for us and we had an amazing view of the beach. I was hoping that Derek would be there in time to go trick-or-treating with us and with Coach G & M and their kids. My little Booger was going to be a vampire (I finally talked her out of being "Jason" - don't ask) and Kelsey was going as some sort of zombie cheerleader (she actually thought she was too old to trick or treat but I finally talked her into being my nine year old little girl for one more year! Who stops trick-or-treating at nine???) Luckily Derek made it in time so we met up with Grandison and Mark at this townhome complex.

Let me first stay that Coach G's son, Matthew, and my Booger, became the best of buddies when they first met a few weeks ago. They have both been very excited about being able to spend Halloween together -- until poor Matthew saw his now spooky little friend! Rylee's face was white with blacked out eyes, she was wearing her vampire teeth the entire time and had the fake blood she insisted on dripping down her mouth. Needless to say, he stayed 3 feet away from her the entire time and said "that doesn't look like Rylee . . ." Yeah, my Rylee is a maverick.

The next day, Coach G, Coach S and I planned on meeting up for a swim. My first ocean swim in well over 10 years. Actually, I don't think I've ever truly swam in the ocean. But in recent years, my fear of sharks has kept me from even going past my ankles. I won't let my kids go past their ankles either!! I have no idea why I'm so fearful of sharks. It's not like anything traumatic has happened to me. But, it's gotten so bad that the last time I tried going to the beach with the kids, I had a complete panic attack. They were wading ankle deep in the water and I freaked out and made everyone pack up and go home. I know. Wacky. Anyway, to say that I was scared about going swimming in Panama City was a complete and total understatement.

When I first saw Grandison on the beach I told her that I was completely scared and freaked out. She told me that she was going to tell me the same thing she told her 5 year old son. Apparently, Matthew had a terrible dream that involved sharks attacking his Mommy and was completely freaked out about Grandison swimming in the ocean. She told him "Sharks swim in the ocean and we're swimming in the gulf" Okay, I can be five and believe that, right? Right?!? Um, no, I can't but I was going to try. Right before we started our swim, Grandison said, "okay, now really, let's swim together -- because of the sharks" Som just nodded his approval and off we went -- as I was silently FREAKING OUT!!!! Every time I would take a breath to the right I would see this large expanse of ocean in front of me and I'd start to panic. Then I started thinking that perhaps Grandison's son was having a premonition and not a dream and now I was swimming next to a piece of shark bait! Then I started thinking about the scene from Jaws and kept thinking something was just about to bite my toes. Then I started to imagine what a shark would look like slithering through the water. Then I told myself to calm the f&$% down!!!! I focused on my stroke and my breathing and told myself to have faith. Have faith that I was supposed to be here and that everything would be fine. And, suddenly, I really did calm down. Not entirely, but enough to get through the swim. I think I'm almost as proud of myself for that swim as I am for the entire Ironman. I know my kids are -- on the way home my little one told me that she knew I was scared but she thought I was very, very brave. I smiled and my heart melted.


Okay, that's all for now. Tomorrow maybe I'll even put out some details on the race!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

i love it! i feel likei am there with you!

and i am totally with you ont eh shark thing. they don't bother us on land so why do we btoher them in water, right? no wonder they eat us! the ocean is to do a quick cool off. and ok if we had a few beverages on the beach we might to wade in a little past our ankles haha

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the part about your sweet little one being proud of you, even though you were scared. That's a keeper of a comment.

susie q