Friday, November 9, 2007

Remembering the Ironman . . . Part 2 of 1,000,000


Okay, let's fast forward to packet pick-up. Coach G, TriGirls AnnaMac, Carmen and I went to pick up our packets together. First, let me say, that Ironman Village is incredible. There's just a lot of excitement and energy there. Now, Ironman packet pick up is not like your everyday triathlon packet pick-up. After you stand in line a volunteer gives you some forms to fill out and then you get weighed (ugh!). Then they invite you to sit with your very own volunteer. She warmly explained everything in my packet to me, made sure everything in my packet was in order, put a pretty little Ironman wristband on me and wished me luck on my special day.

Once back at the hotel I went through my packet and pulled out what seemed like a million bags I had to put my stuff in: Warm Clothes Bag, Special Needs Bike bag, Special Needs Run bag, Swim to Bike bag, Bike to Run Bag. Ahhh! I was feeling overwhelmed. I knew I would have bags but it didn't really hit me that it meant that I had to plan my entire race in advance. See, at an Ironman you have NO transition area by your bike. Everything you need must be packed in one of these bags -- fuel, hydration, bike shorts, helmet, shoes, bodyglide -- everything. This means if you need bodyglide before the swim and before the run, you better have two because one needs to go in each bag. The list I made at home about what I wanted in each bag REALLY came in handy at this time (that and my trusty husband sitting by my side helping me pack!) I just went through my checklist and started throwing things in bags. Then I tied them up, took them to transition and wished them luck. Note to self: tie bags in a way that is easy to untie when you're tired.

The night before the Ironman I had my staple dinner of pasta with salmon and set the three alarm clocks that I had with me. Now, I knew that I wouldn't need three alarm clocks but I read something that said you will sleep better just knowing that they're all there. And, it worked! I slept like a baby all night!


Derek and I headed off to the race with plans that my family would meet up with us so they could see the start of the swim. I have to admit I was pretty nervous -- excited, too -- but mainly feeling like I was going to puke.

As I entered transition, it was like a dream. The crowds of people, the music, the energy . . . it was amazing. I took a moment to just stand there and take it all in. I was here. I was going to do a flippin' Ironman. Me. As my mother told me the night before the race, "I can't believe my chubby girl is doing this . . " And, although I thought that was a screwed up way of saying she was proud of me, the truth is, I couldn't believe it either. Standing here at this great event was the girl who wouldn't even try out for drill team because she was too big. The girl who told her gym teacher that she had "female issues" every day that we were supposed to run around the track. The girl who always thought she was clumsy and un-athletic. The girl who always thought she'd be cheering on the sidelines instead of playing in the game. Again, it was simply amazing.


By the time we got to the swim start area all the TriGirls had managed to find eachother. We all looked anxious but ready to start the race. I has frantically looking for my kids who I knew had arrived but were having trouble finding me in the thousands of people. The clock was starting to tick down and soon I was going to have to enter the swim corral. I really needed a hug from my Booger and I was starting to get worried. Suddenly, out of the crowd, I heard "Mommy!!!" and there they all were -- wearing shirts that said "Proud Son/Daughter of an Ironman". Awwww, I love my family so much!! Now I was ready to start the race . . .

We entered the swim corral and I noticed that there was about 2 minutes until the starting gun went off. Holy flippin' crap!!! Okay, so my swim plan was this: swim. Period. Not on the inside, not on the ouside, not in the front or in the back. Just get in the water, find a spot and swim. Suddenly, the gun went off and all 2000+ swimmers starting running for the water. I walked into the water, took a moment to look at all the swimmers in front of me and really let it soak in. Here we go, I thought. And with that, I dove in and swam my little heart out.

The swim was everything you have heard. It's crowded, a washing machine of people. You get pulled, hit, kicked and shoved. But, with all that, it's really not that bad. I expected all these things to happen so I didn't stress when they did. I simply raised my head, adjusted my line, and kept swimming. Okay, around some guys, I'll admit, I did swim while throwing elbows -- but, I swear, they deserved it!

As I exited the water on the first lap, I saw my little Booger sitting on top of her Daddy's shoulders yelling her little heart out. I'm sure she was saying something like "Go, Mommy, Go!" although, with her sense of humor, she could very well have been yelling "Shark!!" Anyway, after the first loop in the water, I really felt I was in a rhythm. Not too slow and not too fast. I did get stuck in traffic around the first turn buoy which caused about 200 of us to tread water while trying to push our way around the buoy (by the way, it's hard to make forward progress when you're forced to remain vertical!) But, now the field was starting to open up and I felt the second lap would be even better than the first. And, it was. The time really seemed to fly by and when I exited the water for the second time, I felt great!

I jogged up the hill and while stripping down the top portion of my wetsuit. Then I took full advantage of the wetsuit strippers. You sit on the ground, lift your butt up and whoosh! off comes your wetsuit! It was very cool! Then we all made our way through the shower area to rinse off the saltwater. One bitch in the back kept shouting "keep it moving, keep it moving" as she pushed and shoved her way through everyone. Really, lady, you're not in front and you're not a pro so chill the f^%$ out!

When I got into the transition tent I was so happy to see Shelly! She was almost fully changed and ready to start on the bike leg. I stripped down in front of all my hundreds of new best friends and a volunteer quickly helped me change into my bike gear. On my way out, I saw TG Deanna B. and we gave eachother a quick hug (which, by the way, makes all the difference in a race. It's so great to see a friend and get a quick high-five or hug. It keeps you going with a smile on your face!) I also saw Grandison pumping away in the corner. What a rock star!! By the way, my mom told me that they mentioned on the internet broadcast that there was some amazing athlete who they heard was pumping in the transition tent. They had to be talking about our G!!


As I exited the tent, the volunteers shouted out my name and someone else quickly brought me my bike. One down, two to go. From my left I heard screaming and shouting and I looked to see my crew of 14 going nuts cheering for me. Good God, how lucky am I? And, what a great way to start the bike. I quickly raised my hand and did our family thing of saying "I love you" in sign language and I was off . . .

Next up: the bike.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Cyndi, what a great race report! (Can't wait for the other 999,998!!!) I got teary when your family found you on the beach and cracked up imagining Booger yelling "Shark" between your swim loops...

Since you were a TriGirl when I met you, it's hard to imagine you ever sitting on the sidelines. You are amazing and I bet you have always had the heart and talent to be in the game.

TriGirl 40 said...

Loving your race report! You always remember to include the wonderful emotional highlights that make up the best moments of a race. (And gotta second how important the race hugs are!) Where is my sign language "I Love you" emoticon?

Melissa said...

CD - Good golly, chica. I can barely see the letters on the keyboard.

For some "chubby girl" growing up, you are one heck of an IRONMAN! you are a beast out there! Maybe the time you spent on the sidelines you were resting your body to dominate! B/c dominate you do! You have an amazing prepective and support.

Jonah Holland said...

Go Cyndi Go! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story. I love your race reports....you are such an inspiration to me.

TriGirlDebbieJo said...

I'm writing this through tears while sniffling! I know the end of this story and I'm still anxious with anticipation. Please, find some time.

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

we will need pics of wed tattoo day! How did the squad do?