Friday, April 4, 2008

Appreciate . . .

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

I visited my doctor for a follow up today. This weekend I am going to go swimming. And, this weekend I am going for a bike ride. Yes, I am back on my feet -- sort of. It will still be a few more weeks until I am allowed to run but that's okay. I will wait. For now, I will swim to swim and bike to bike. Simply for the sheer pleasure of being able to do so. I will not solely focus on improving my time. I will not only think of distance. I will not lament my body's shortcomings or criticize my body for things I think it should be better at. I will thank my body for giving me the opportunity to be strong. I will appreciate what I have.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. And, like most things that happen in my life, when this happened I tried to think of what kind of learning I could take away from this experience. I discovered that need to treat my body better. I dont just need to fuel it and exercise it. So from now on, I will treat my body better. I will care for it. Listen to it. Appreciate it. I will value what it can do for me so that I can spend my time doing what I love so much.

And, soon, I will be out there with my teammates again. And, I can't wait.

3 comments:

TriGirl Kate O said...

We can't wait either! So glad to hear the news. You and I can shuffle behind everyone else with our sideline-lament drinks in hand. Don't want to spill our wine...

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

This is great news! I wish I could have your outlook even 1/4 of the time.

TriGirl 40 said...

Like Kate said,

We can't wait either!

And thank YOU for being the best cheerleader, sherpa in the meantime.

Next weekend (not this) may be a great time for an awesome bike ride...

Just say the word...