Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Thank you . . .

Today I was depressed because I found out that I needed to stop running again (yeah, long story - I can go back to 1/2 mile distances next week). Anyway, I was so upset about the fact that I was taking steps backwards; that Timberman may be out; that my "season" may pretty much not be a "season" after all. I was pretty bummed and feeling oh-so-very sorry for myself. Talking about how broken my heart was. Darn, what if I can't do Muddy Buddy? Poor me, what if I can't do the Charlottesville Oly? Wah-wah, what if I can't run the Richmond Marathon?

Then I remembered what else happened today . . .

somewhere out there, a single parent lost their job;
there was someone who sat alone and scared after finding out they were terminally ill;
out there someone was waiting for help after getting into a terrible car accident;
somewhere there is someone who is hiding in genuine fear for their life;
there is someone who went to bed hungry;
someone held the hands of a loved one as they passed away;
there is a child somewhere who lost a parent and,
somewhere out there, a parent is grieving the unbearable loss of their child.

These truly heart wrenching things happen every, single day.

Me? Well, in actuality, today, I saw my daughter ride a two wheeler without training wheels for the first time. Today, I got a hug from each one of my children and my husband. Tonight, I will go to bed knowing I am loved, protected and cared for by my family, my friends and my faith.

My glass is more than half full -- it is overflowing with joy and happiness.
Running? Honestly. How ridiculous is that compared to those who are going through real turmoil in their lives. I mean, what the hell? I will come back and run again -- and until then I will work hard to remember that the sun still shines so brightly on my life and for that I am forever thankful.

"The unthankful heart . . . discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!" Henry Ward Beecher

8 comments:

Unknown said...

xoxoxoxo to you and your fantastic family

sq

Anonymous said...

you have a kanck for keeping things in perspective. something we all need to do. (like the wniney guy at White Lake - he needed a perspective check). sending you lots of hugs!

TriGirl Kate O said...

You want to join us for the aqua bike at chesapeake man??? Thanks for the offer of support--my trigirl friends are the best!
x's and o's aplenty.

Jonah Holland said...

Holy crap! No training wheels! OMG, I hope she can inspire Daisy.
Hang in there, it'll be ok.

TriGirl 40 said...

You always have such wonderful perspective and balance. Wishing you healing thoughts - and more wonderful moments with your family.

katebott said...

Beautifully said... simple words that mean a lot. Keep smiling!

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

You really do have such a great outlook! Again, I love reading your blog. And thanks for reminding the rest of us to keep it in perspective.

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

What an awesome post! I've just found your blog and look forward to reading more...