Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bye-bye Pink Lake . . .

I had another doctor's appointment today to discuss my full recovery plan. Long story but White Lake is out. He really feels that it's just not enough time to heal well enough to run that distance. He did make me one guarantee: if I did run White Lake I would most definitely come home in some serious pain and, quite possibly, with the kind of stress fracture that would require pins or crutches in order to immobilize the hip. He actually said he didn't think I should walk it -- primarily because he thinks I would end up deciding to run (God, am I that transparent?!?). I finally conceeded and said I would do whatever I needed to do to make sure I could race at 100% at Timberman. So the plan now is 4 weeks of swimming (no pushing off the walls) and cycling. I will then let my body do what my body can do and heal in the amount of time it takes to heal so that I can race strong in New Hampshire.

I need to say this outloud: I am SOOOOOO bummed. Many, many tears have been shed(and, really, I don't cry). I'm hoping Set Up will agree to let me pull someone in as a runner and I can turn my entry into a relay but I'm still waiting to hear from them. Otherwise, I will still go to White Lake. I will swim and bike my ass off and then miserably sulk up to an official and grudgingly turn in my chip -- as a DNF. O-u-c-h. I have never quit anything in my life. This is going to hurt.

I'm going to have a glass of wine and allow myself to just sit and pout tonight. Tomorrow I will realize that I'm a damn lucky lady who should be counting the millions of blessings I have instead of magnifying one disappointing hiccup in in my life. But, again, tonight I allow myself to wallow. :(

7 comments:

tri-ing races not cases said...

:( My running belt is yours for a while.

mommy to 2, feels like 4. said...

I am so sorry!! That sux!! I could say it will all be better, and blah, blah, blah, and in the end it will. But, right now, I really am sorry, and it does suck.

TriGirl Kate O said...

I wish I could say I'd run in your stead, but not sure if I could work up to 13 miles that soon. You're doing the right thing, even if it sucks. Hugs, chicka.

Kate said...

Most definitely sucks but it is the right thing to do. Glad you will still be there.

Anonymous said...

that stinks to the max. stupid injuries. well i know you will have a good time regardless nd that doens't kill you makes you stronger...

Unknown said...

You are NOT quitting. You are taking care of a serious injury as advised by an expert. Timberman will be a blast, so don't fret about Pink Lake.

sq

TriGirl 40 said...

I am so sorry, sad, bummed out! But you are doing the right thing.

Keeping my fingers crossed the relay works out for you!

This totally justifies consumption of an entire cube.